Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Literary links

The Joongang Ilbo has an article on modernist writer Yi Sang, which is worth reading. I first read this translation of his signature story 'The Wings' years ago, and it can be found easily enough at bookstores downtown. Translations of his poetry by Brother Anthony can be found here.

I missed this lecture by Bruce Fulton, but hadn't realized “There a Petal Silently Falls: Three Stories by Ch’oe Yun” had been published. I've linked to the translation before, but it would be nice to have it in book form. An interview with translators Bruce and Ju-Chan Fulton can be found here, and a description of the awards ceremony for their translation and a meeting with Ch'oe Yun can be found here. I've linked to an interview with her before (links to the online translations of her work are there as well). Two of her stories under the title "The Last of Hanako" can be found at in the English section of bookstores downtown as well.

Another book the Fultons translated was "The Dwarf," which I first read a few years ago, and which I read again recently - it's well worth reading.

2 comments:

Charles Montgomery said...

This Monday, between 7:30 and 8:00 on TBS eFM there will be an interview I conducted with Bruce Fulton. He's a funny guy and there's a second half to the interview that will eventually go up on my website...

matt said...

Great - I'll have to give that a listen. I look forward to seeing the rest at your site.