Thursday, April 17, 2008

G-force, Korean style

This post will probably be lost on those younger than 30. Over at the Marmot's Hole, this comment made a reference to Spectra, which reminded me of the cartoon "Battle of the Planets", which I watched as a kid. It's one of the shows Korean friends the same age as me remember from their childhoods as well. In Korea it was titled "독수리 5 형제"(doksuri 5 hyeongje, or "eagle 5 siblings"). Here's the opening theme song to the Korean version:



Here's the 'Battle of the Planets' opening theme for comparison:



It's interesting to note that the Japanese series both shows are based on, "Science Ninja Team Gatchaman," was apparently much darker in tone than the US version, which was edited heavily and had new characters added. I have no idea if the Korean version had any changes made to it, or if it simply redubbed the Japanese original.

I have fond memories of this show from my childhood, but I'd imagine that if I were to watch it again today, it wouldn't fare well against those memories. But then what does?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Have not heard the theme song from "Battle of the Planets" in more years than I can remember. Thanks for the walk down memory lane....

kwandongbrian said...

Thank you.

I misremembered and thought 'The Man from UNCLE' fought SPECTRA.

I remember thinking the five were called, 'Jay force' - you know, that all looked like birds and all. I guess G-force is okay, too.

Anonymous said...

Like you said, I too have fond memories, but I'd like to keep them that way! Off the top of my head, I can't think of any movie or program that I loved as a kid but haven't been dissappointed with as an adult. Most James Bond movies are the first think that came to mind, which for obvious reasons had a special appeal to me at the time!

James.

Anonymous said...

I bought the whole DVD set of 독수리 형제 for my son for Christmas (it was going cheap on Aladdin). I didn't realise later that it was G-Force. True enough, its very low tech compared to today's standards, but my son really liked it and was walking around singing the (Korean) theme for days.

ZenKimchi said...

Some good memories there.